Atlantic Avenue Pavilion, Point Pleasant
Originally a seashore playground for the Leni Lanape Indians, settlers arrived to Point Pleasant during the 1700’s. Fishermen and farmers by trade, many owned hundreds of acres of land. Summer tourism began in the early 1800’s, when Thomas Cook, Jr. opened his farmhouse on the site of the current Antrim Elementary School to boarders. Captain John Arnold did the most to establish Point Pleasant Beach as a destination for visitors in the 1870’s, when he retired from a career at sea and bought land. In 1870, he built a roadway to the ocean, now known as Arnold Avenue. In 1875, he was instrumental in building the first bridge over the Manasquan River to Brielle. Later, he convinced the Central Jersey Railroad to extend its service to Point Pleasant Beach by giving it right-of-way, land for a depot, and about $6,000 cash. On July 3, 1880, the first passenger train rolled into Point Pleasant Beach. The first beachfront pavilion was constructed on Atlantic Avenue in 1880. Ten years later, the first boardwalk was built—a flimsy, portable structure. This painting was created for the town's Centennial celebration in 1986. Note the artist has included a mermaid, and Murphy hiding on top of the bower house.
Out of print.