Bay Head Chapel (Balloon Man)
The first Bay Head Chapel was located where Centennial Park is now situated, off of Bridge Avenue in the center of town behind Borough Hall. Services began in August 1889. It is likely that the opening sermon was delivered by the Rev. Samuel M. Studdiford, who spoke at The Chapel many times in its early years. In 1910 attendance had grown to the point where expansion was necessary. Since additional land on the site was not available, The Chapel moved to its present location at Main and Bridge Avenues. The bell tower in this painting was knocked over by a nor’easter in the 1930s, and was replaced by a tower over the entrance. Some of you may still remember the balloon man who used to be seen on that corner every Sunday in the early 1960s. The artist put him into this 1913 scene, along with the Buick “25” touring car parked in front.
Image size: 10x14.
Giclee print. Open edition. Unsigned.